the Cavitt Creek Bridge - Photo by: Bill Cockrell
The Cavitt Creek Bridge, crossing Little River at the junction with Cavitt Creek, is another of the wooden structures built by Floyd Frear, noted Douglas County builder.
The design features Tudor arch portals to accommodate heavy log truck usage, and the upper and lower chords utilize raw logs as its members. Each side of the roofed structure sports three windows, and long narrow slits above each truss allow "daylighting" as well as ventilation for the bridge interior.
The bridge has a metal roof and a floor with longitudinal running planks. The covered structure sits on concrete piers. The area surrounding the bridge site was settled in the early 1880's and named for Robert Cavitt, who settled on a tributary of Little River.
This covered bridge was included in the thematic nomination of Oregon's covered bridges to the National Register in 1979, but was not listed at the request of the County.
HOW TO GET THERE: From Roseburg take Highway 138 east to Glide. Just before entering Glide turn south on Little River Road. The bridge is approximately seven miles south of Highway 138 at the intersection of Little River Road and Cavitt Creek Road (county roads 17 and 82).